If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

A starry celebration


Well, I was caught up in listening to Game 7 of the World Series tonight.  And when the Astros won, I decided to post a sea star picture to help their fans celebrate. Here's an orange Sunflower Star (Pycnopodia helianthoides, in the class Asteroidea) to sayCongratulations, Houston!  

P.S. Astro is Greek for "star."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jackie! When did you take this? Post-sea star wasting? If so, please let me know!

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Sarah!

No, this is an older photo from 2011. I haven't seen a Sunflower Star in Northern California since summer 2014 -- see this post below for my last observation on 12 July 2014:

http://bodegahead.blogspot.com/2015/11/where-have-all-sunflowers-gone.html

Jackie