If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A shade of purple


Well, I couldn't help it.  This is another Moonglow Anemone (Anthopleura artemisia) from a Bull Kelp holdfast.  Although the color of this species is known to be variable, I hadn't seen one quite like this before and I just had to share it with you.  

How would you describe the color of the tentacles?  I'd call it a shade of purple.  And after searching around in my head, I eventually landed on aubergine.  What do you think?  Did you come up with a different color?

In some light, the oral disc of the anemone had beautiful blue reflections:



But in the end, it was the tentacles that really drew me in.  What an amazing color!

 


No comments: