If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Beechey

I took a quick walk around Moss Landing, California, this afternoon.  Although local residents are probably used to seeing these mammals, it was fun for me as they're not present on Bodega Head.


Note that there are three individuals in the photo above, two in the foreground and one in the background near the overturned wheelbarrow.  

Here's a close-up of the left-hand animal:


Although I don't have any resources with me tonight, and I have very little experience identifying ground squirrels, I think this is a California Ground Squirrel, also known as a Beechey Ground Squirrel (Spermophilus beecheyi).

Here are two additional views of the other individuals:



And one more of the left-hand squirrel, splayed out like a sphinx in the warm sun.


No comments: